Project at a glance
Recognizing the need to modernize, digitize, and connect workflows enterprise-wide, this energy company chose ServiceNow as their cloud platform partner. Even as our client’s team prepared for deployment of its first initiative, it was looking ahead at how to maintain momentum.
KPMG LLP (KPMG) worked with our client to execute a successful digital transformation implementation, and strategically grow the new ServiceNow platform to support ongoing transformation.
Our practical approach and the KPMG Powered Evolution solution provide the agility this utility company needs, bringing in the right people and processes at the right time and providing insights into what ServiceNow can offer today as well as new functionality coming tomorrow.
- Client challenge
- Key KPMG initiatives
- Business impact
- Why KPMG?
This energy company chose ServiceNow as a critical, foundational platform to transform how IT services are delivered to their workforce and to drive significant improvement in cyber and IT operational performance. Their adoption of ServiceNow would achieve their goals and set the stage for a thoroughly automated, deliberately digital, enterprise IT platform supporting their pursuit of technology-driven outcomes.
With the go-live date and deployment to 10,000 users fast approaching, the company was struggling to build needed in-house capabilities, due to internal hiring constraints and fierce competition for ServiceNow talent.
In addition, their strategy and aspirations for ServiceNow-based future initiatives would likely require more and different resources—so the in-house capabilities they were trying to build might not serve future needs.
Key KPMG initiatives
In addition to determining how KPMG could best meet our client’s immediate deployment needs, we brought in our Powered Evolution team to strategize on how to support the company’s ongoing transformation. Our client’s candor and transparency fostered a powerful working relationship. Together, our two teams supported broader objectives, such as growing the platform, as well as tactical aims including the development of structured frameworks for handling break-fix issues and incremental enhancements.
Since 2019, we’ve worked with this client on key initiatives:
- A three-year program involving the implementation of and managed services for the cloud platform across IT services (Business, Operations, Field Services Management, and Security)
- Ongoing managed services delivering aggressive work sprints, multiple patch cycles, and version upgrades
- An Agile program involving process optimization, technology architecture, configuration, and deployment for more than 10,000 internal users
- An optimal framework for enhancing the company’s ability to track, manage, and forecast demand for products and services across all business units.
This company’s commitment to digital transformation, strengths as a candid collaborator, and access to KPMG resources—including deep ServiceNow experience—led to key gains:
- A highly effective governance model supports the ServiceNow platform
- 10,000 users collaborate easily and effectively on issue resolution and request fulfillment, enabling reduced time to completion on tasks that are now requested in the tool
- A centralized view of customer products and services spans all business units and technology groups
- A single source of truth for the IT function houses knowledge and configurations, incidents, service requests, and business impacts
- Well-defined, widely adopted, and easily measured ITSM and agile processes are in place
- 50 tasks related to service requests have been automated
- Average of 140 Agile story points developed per sprint, for a total reduction of 3,360 story points per year
- Average request-fulfillment time decreased from 10 business days to 2 business days due to task automation
- Automation of access requests to NAS folders has reduced manual tasks by an estimated 2,700 hours in a calendar year
- Internal users report greater satisfaction due to decreases in outages, faster resolution times, and improved self-service tools
- Seamless coordination between multiple third-party suppliers and vendors supporting our client’s ServiceNow platform
- Automation of access to elevated security privileges includes expiration dates, ensuring removal of elevated privileges as soon as they are no longer required.
Today, transformation must be quick
In today’s high-pressure business landscape, most companies are in some phase of transformation. So, it’s not enough to transform—you need to do it quickly and effectively to gain and sustain competitive advantage. KPMG Managed Services can help you keep up with innovation, move quickly to attract in-demand talent, and be ready to shift direction as needed—so even when you’re not sure where the next opportunity will come from, you can be confident that you’ll be there to meet it.
Trusted guidance that flexes with your needs
It takes vast resources to be as nimble as you need to be in today’s business landscape. Our ability to dial our involvement up in one area or down in another, mine deep insights, and tap talent across industries, ITSM, technologies, geographies, and functions allows us to react swiftly to today’s changing opportunities and shifting business landscape. So, while you may engage with us to meet a precise set of objectives, rest assured that as they shift, we do, too.
Our commitment to powerful collaboration
Our goal is to be an extended part of your team. Someone with whom you can openly share your changing goals and insights as well as your challenges. Together, we’ll work through questions on everything from technology to corporate culture. We can test assumptions, measure performance, and optimize the solutions that help ensure transformation initiatives are effectively deployed, widely adopted, and well maintained.
About our client
Our client is a diversified energy company. Its operating units include an electric utility serving 2.2 million customers and a natural gas utility serving 1.3 million. Its portfolio includes energy businesses focused on power and industrial projects, renewable natural gas, and energy marketing and trading.