- Client challenge
- Benefits to client
- KPMG insights
This global cybersecurity software company was growing rapidly when it encountered challenges typical of such growth: the need to make smarter and faster decisions while reducing fixed costs. Processes, technologies, and business models were increasingly misaligned. Labor-intensive, manual processes needed to be automated and on-premise, client-server core business applications needed to be replaced with a cloud Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) application. The reporting and dashboards across systems lacked meaningful business intelligence record-to-report, procure-to-pay, order-to-cash and revenue recognition cycle.
Seeing the need for a trusted business adviser, the company turned to KPMG for help with project management and to drive transformation enabling technologies to support its ambitious business growth.
Benefits to client
The KPMG Powered Enterprise approach helped implement fit-for-purpose processes, an operating model, and future-state roadmap that have:
automated compliance with revenue recognition standards and decreased overall period-end close cycle time by 50 percent
integrated the ERP and revenue management systems, increasing the number of fully touchless transactions from creation to revenue recognition by 70 percent
automated quoting, order creation, and invoicing for 40 percent of the channel reseller business, with plans to fully automate by early 2021
Further, this client benefits from:
- centralized and automated the product and pricing setup process so that it takes hours, not days, to load new products into their systems
- reduced onboarding time for newly acquired entities from two months to three weeks.
KPMG was initially engaged to project manage the implementation of revenue recognition software. In turn, that led to involvement in Microsoft Dynamics 365 cloud ERP implementation—testing and data conversion assistance. As we earned our client’s confidence with on-time, on-budget project delivery and strong professional consulting skills, KPMG was entrusted to tackle several key areas central to scaling their business:
- We managed the implementation of an advanced tool that automates revenue processes and reporting to help the client comply with new revenue recognition standards. We helped design, build, and implement the integration between the front office Customer Relationship Management, Revenue Recognition and back-office Microsoft Dynamics 365 cloud ERP application. A unified vision and process was put in place, connecting all three systems via an integration platform and a future target operating model that streamlined the wide-ranging quote-to-cash process.
- The upgrade to Dynamics 365 required integrating with an online cloud architecture and third-party systems; this meant complying with more robust security requirements. KPMG developed customizations and processes to foster successful integration.
- To help facilitate the quoting and order creation process for channel resellers, who represent 90 percent of the client’s business, we automated the process and helped the company leverage advanced features of the Dynamics 365 cloud ERP by adopting leading practices to automate, streamline, and simplify processes.
Clients want advisors with a deep understanding of their chosen technology solutions
KPMG drew upon our established global alliance with Microsoft that includes specialized practice groups for the company’s Dynamics, Azure, and Office 365 cloud platforms; thousands of Microsoft-certified professionals; and hundreds of successful digital collaborations in almost every sector and business function.
Decisive organizations want to move quickly
The KPMG Powered Enterprise approach distills our cumulative experience and leading practices into prebuilt and tested components that help clients leapfrog generic issues and accelerate implementation of their objectives.
In long-lasting relationships, the simple things matter the most
We communicate in a timely and open fashion and follow through on our promises. In the course of a dozen engagements with this client over the past two years, we have never missed project milestones or gone over budget.