- Client challenge
- Benefits to client
- Why KPMG
A global oil and gas supermajor saw its Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) function as a potential innovation engine, and wanted a faster, ongoing pipeline of new IT-enabled services. To enable progress, the organization needed to address its:
- lack of IT alignment with the business strategy
- viewpoint that IT was an inhibitor as opposed to an enabler
- capacity to meet business demands
- visibility into services and dependencies on infrastructure and applications
- and change management enablers to facilitate employee adoption.
To prime the innovation pump, the company asked KPMG to work with their own IT professionals to complete a successful ITSM transformation—across 27 business units, 45 countries, and all within seven months. KPMG fused its Powered IT approach, organizational change management principles, On Demand services, ServiceNow cloud platform, and Microsoft Azure technology, while securing the enthusiastic endorsement of users. The KPMG team:
- used the KPMG Powered IT framework of prebuilt tools and methods to chart an accelerated implementation and future-phase roadmap
- prioritized and enhanced end-user experience in the design and migration of the new ITSM self-service portal, from Remedy to ServiceNow
- established the foundation for globally standardized approaches to back-office operations
- designed an integrated platform to be the single place for all IT services and, potentially, all corporate services
- aligned services to a catalog/portal designed for employees with a consumer-like experience
- identified organizational change management as a critical success lever for process and technology transformation—conducting ServiceNow workshops for 2,000 participants, helping launch a global change-champion network, and managing a regular stream of communications
- embedded capacities for continuous process improvement, platform administration, and capability expansion through the features of KPMG Powered Evolution on-demand services.
Benefits to client
The company’s ITSM function has acquired a refreshed relevance, through user-centric self-service and simplified processes. The Powered IT ready-to-use portfolio of roadmaps, processes, and tools helped leapfrog generic challenges and deliver immediate value. This multinational energy enterprise moved with the agility of a start-up, and now, its ITSM innovation pump is set to flow today and tomorrow. Specific benefits include:
- a seamless experience across IT, suppliers, business units, and customers delivered via an elegantly designed service portal and integrated workflows
- actionable, transparent data for people, location, and cost centralized on a ServiceNow cloud platform positioned IT as a strategic partner to the business
- enhanced customer experience, optimized operations, and automation-readiness has set IT as the example for digital innovation and technology
- accelerated speed-to-market for IT services supported by catalog visibility, streamlined access approvals, automated service-request fulfillment, and instant delivery
- integration with Microsoft Azure became the foundation for integrated operations and increased automation across IT
- foundations are in place for continuous improvement
- “agile” execution at scale successfully demonstrated as an important precedent, as this large enterprise considers similar rapid transformation across the back office.
Leading organizations want to learn from peers
In sectors undergoing seismic change, clients value the cross-industry and leading-practice perspective KPMG brings to specific disciplines like ITSM.
Decisive leaders want to move quickly
The KPMG Powered IT approach is an established method to achieving value on an accelerated timeline, with leading processes, configurations, and training ready to be tailored to our client’s unique needs.
The innovation challenge isn’t just getting there, it’s staying there
KPMG is agile and versatile, working with our clients from strategy and design to implementation, improvement, and governance. Once transformation is achieved, KPMG can embed the capacity for continuous ITSM improvement, through automated software and process updates built into a Powered Evolution managed services relationship.