- Client challenge
- Benefits to client
- Why KPMG?
It takes vision to both own 100 years of tradition and lay claim to the 100 years ahead. Dawn Foods serves bakers around the world, as a maker and distributor of everything from raw ingredients to ready-to-sell goods. In its century of operations, the company had gone through two revolutions—the first when it entered the distribution business, the second when it expanded outside of the U.S. Faced with profound shifts in industry and customer buying behavior, Dawn prepared itself for a third, and asked KPMG to help. The mandate: Think boldly from an “art of the possible” perspective, and then shape an enterprise-wide digital transformation journey.
Benefits to client
Dawn Foods is on its way to business growth and a renewed customer value proposition, using digital innovation as a sustainable competitive advantage. Specific benefits include:
- digital platform successfully launched in time to absorb COVID-19 impacts; all targets to date achieved across revenue, margin, and adoption
- a thorough digital-transformation business strategy in place to support necessary investments in new processes, technology, and people skills
- digital integration of key functions completed, including product strategy, supply chain, data and analytics, e-commerce, technology architecture, and alliance partner network
- advanced customer-centric innovation adapted for Dawn’s B2B market.
KPMG helped Dawn move through every stage of an ambitious digital transformation journey, from initial “art of the possible” thinking to full realization of a new operating model. KPMG:
- worked with Dawn to find a savings of tens of millions of dollars in operational efficiencies to create cash flow that would ultimately fund the transformation journey
- benchmarked current-state operations against competitor and marketplace data, to identify 33 potential initiatives, prioritized by business impact, risk, and competitive advantage
- developed a ROI-driven business case that identified opportunities to generate substantial new additional annual operating income from the existing business
- designed a target operating model to address the needed change programs across every dimension of the enterprise, including business metrics, governance, and business process changes
- leveraged prebuilt digital integration tools and roadmaps to sequence initiatives and accelerate implementation
- helped design, build, and deploy a new digital bakery business platform, based upon cloud-enabled, microservices-based commerce architecture
- established a customer onboarding program to support the successful adoption of new technology and processes.
We build strong business cases to power digital transformation
KPMG helps our clients articulate the ROI-driven rationale for bold digital business strategies, including accelerated paths to value creation. We build strong business cases that cascade into prioritized investments and initiatives, always keeping the focus on pragmatic solutions and tangible results.
Sustainable competitive advantage begins with the customer
In an era of continuous business disruption, sustainable outperformance comes from customer-centricity. KPMG developed our digital integration framework of prebuilt tools and tested roadmaps precisely so clients can leapfrog generic challenges and move quickly to their own objectives.
Visionary companies are willing to learn from other leaders
KPMG has researched thousands of leading organizations to identify, replicate, and measure the precise drivers of customer-centric performance, all embedded in our digital transformation framework.
Midsized clients with ambitious goals need transformation journey advisors, too
We create targeted solutions for our clients, drawing upon the full breadth of KPMG—specialized functional and industry savvy, digital and technology solutions experience, project implementation discipline, and change management knowledge—at the scale needed.