Emerging markets and delivery of e-commerce goods and services represent opportunities for enterprises to rise above their competition and disrupt current business models. As consumers are increasingly going online to purchase goods and services and then accept delivery at their residences, enterprises need to become more nimble and find opportunities to deliver more goods and services through digital interfaces.
IT has been presented with an opportunity to provide their business partners with innovative solutions needed to address emerging consumer demands. High performing IT teams that align with business priorities and adopt modern service delivery models provide products that adapt to changes in market conditions in a way that will set their companies apart as the situation evolves.
Modern IT delivery provides lean delivery teams with the tools, automation and architecture to develop applications that support business continuity and growth. High performing IT organizations apply Modern IT delivery models to their products that have the potential to add business value through continual delivery of new features and functions that enhance customer experiences while improving operational efficiency.
To optimize the business benefits of a modern delivery model, organizations must first identify and map their value streams and then assess the associated IT value chains to re-think how products and services are ideated, developed, delivered and governed. This exercise enables organizations to determine which products will benefit most from modern delivery capabilities. Organizations should complete the following steps to establish the priorities of their modern delivery transformation:
- Understand the value streams required to support key business objectives and how each value stream is supported by technology (through the enabling value streams associated with application delivery tied to business value)
- Identify waste and delays in enabling value streams that can be eliminated through modern delivery models to improve IT performance related to business objectives
- Prioritize the creation of modern delivery capabilities that will drive the most business value across products and associated value streams
- Integrate and automate the software delivery pipeline with micro services that can be orchestrated to quickly integrate new features and functionality to existing applications through containerization
- Adopt more scalable and flexible solutions by focusing on designing and executing short-term outcomes that support the long-term strategy
In order to meet customer expectations and grow the business, IT organizations must lead the formation of an agile, customer-centric connected enterprise. Customer experience demands will increasingly drive the future of the modern delivery model. This requires strong collaboration between the business and IT that helps the entire organization create strategic value solutions more rapidly, improve speed to market, increase consumer loyalty and foster a culture of customer centricity and continuous improvement.