- Focus on climate-related financial risk seen in:
- SEC sample letter of comments that a company may receive based on the climate-related disclosure or lack of disclosure in its SEC filings; SEC is reviewing disclosures for compliance with its related 2010 guidance and has sent letters to individual companies reflecting their specific circumstances.
- BCBS announced plan to propose related supervisory practices “later this year” and further consider additional disclosure, supervisory, and regulatory measures.
- OCC and SEC highlighted the need for investor protections in cryptocurrency markets.
- OCC issued an enforcement action to address deficiencies in a bank’s technology and operational risk governance.
Financial services regulatory and policy news
- NYFRB released a paper on eviction prevention and responses to housing insecurity
- SFFRB released a paper on economic impacts of tipping points in the climate system
- Spoke about cryptocurrencies, decentralized finance, and innovation
- Issued an enforcement action for deficiencies relating to technology and operational risk governance
- Adopted two new booklets to the Comptroller’s Handbook covering “Earnings” and “Regulatory Reporting”
- Provided remarks on the LIBOR transition and alternative benchmarks
- Division of Corporate Finance published a sample letter to companies on climate change disclosures
- Senate Banking Committee:
- Cleared the nomination for Rohit Chopra to serve as Director of the CFPB; the nomination now progresses to the full Senate
- House FS Committee:
- Conducted a hearing on preserving consumer access to personal financial data
- Released the 2nd quarter foreclosure prevention report
- Proposed new disclosures for small business commercial lending
- BCBS called on banks to improve resilience to cyber threats and stated it will propose supervisory practices for climate-related financial risks
Industry news headlines
(Some links may require subscription)
- SEC Asks Dozens of Companies for More Climate Disclosures (WSJ)
- FASB Seeks More Disclosure on Companies Supply Chain Finance Programs (WSJ)
- Senate closes in on vote to confirm Chopra as CFPB director (American Banker)
- Banks Oppose Strict Basel Rules Targeting Cryptocurrencies (WSJ)
- SEC’s Gensler Doesn’t See Cryptocurrencies Lasting Long (WSJ)
- Banking regulator compares crypto to tools that sparked the financial crisis (Market Insider)
- Even DOJ, FTC recognize debit card payment processing is broken (American Banker)
- Treasury sanctions virtual currency exchange as part of ransomware response (Compliance Week)
- Gensler warns no extension coming to LIBOR's end on Dec. 31 (CFO Dive)
- SEC shows its hand on cryptocurrency (Compliance Week)
Get the latest thinking from KPMG
Quick hitting summaries of specific regulatory developments and their impact on financial services firms.
Points of View
Insights and analyses of emerging regulatory issues impacting financial services firms.