- IFRS announced the formation of a new standards board, the ISSB, to develop “comprehensive” global baseline sustainability disclosure standards.
- An alliance of private financial companies pledged $130 trillion to finance global transition to net-zero emissions.
- OCC is planning to issue, by year-end, framework guidance on high-level climate risk management expectations for large banks.
- An interagency report on stablecoins highlights emerging risks and recommendations, including jurisdictional authority for insured depositories, SEC and CFTC, and other regulators.
- SEC Staff Legal Bulletin says certain shareholder proxy proposals may no longer be excluded, such as some ESG-types (e.g., human capital, climate-related targets).
Financial services regulatory and policy news
- Issued statement supporting the NGFS Glasgow Declaration; Related OCC statement
- Stated it is hoping to issue framework guidance on high-level climate risk management expectations for large banks by year end
- Spoke about modernizing banking regulation to “level up” the playing field for bank and non-bank financial services providers
- Created a new office to support its ongoing engagement with MDIs and CDFIs
- Released a report on consumer credit report disputes
- Issued a Staff Legal Bulletin saying certain shareholder proxy proposals, including some ESG-type proposals, may no longer be excluded; Commissioner statements here and here
- Spoke about cybersecurity challenges
- Issued a statement on the registration deadline for security-based swap dealers
- Spoke about efficiency, fairness, and order in the U.S. market structure
- Spoke about various topics including ESG and crypto/digital assets
- Banking Committee conducted a hearing on the LIBOR transition
- Agriculture Committee advanced CFTC nomination to full Senate
- House FS Committee:
- Conducted hearings on:
- Risks and benefits of emerging BNPL and other fintech cashflow products
- The financial system, cyber threats, and consumer data
- Eliminating barriers to full economic inclusion
- Released interagency report on regulation of stablecoins as part of the PWGFM; Related statements from OCC, CFPB, and SEC
- Announced formation of a new Climate Risk Division in supervision
- New law expands the NY State CRA to non-depository mortgage lenders
- Published a report on the progress and planned work to enhance the resilience of non-bank financial intermediation (NBFI)
- Published a progress report highlighting implementation gaps on effective compensation practices in financial institutions
- Participated in panel discussions as part of the COP26 Sustainable Insurance Series
Industry news headlines
(Some links may require subscription)
- Biden Administration to Cut Ties With Debt Collectors for Student Loans (WSJ)
- Climate Promises by Businesses Face New Scrutiny (WSJ)
- Financial System Makes Big Promises on Climate Change at Summit (WSJ)
- Carney’s Climate Group Hits $130 Trillion as Pledges Soar (BNN Bloomberg)
- SEC Chair Gensler likens crypto to early seed investing, warns many coins will fail (MarketWatch)
- Congress coalescing around need for LIBOR replacement bill (American Banker)
- SEC Rescinds Trump-era Policy, Eases Path for Shareholder Proposals on Environmental, Social Issues (WSJ)
Get the latest thinking from KPMG
Quick hitting summaries of specific regulatory developments and their impact on financial services firms.
Points of View
Insights and analyses of emerging regulatory issues impacting financial services firms.