- Federal banking agencies decided not to extend temporary capital relief for BHCs and institutions subject to the Supplementary Leverage Ratio.
- FINRA outlined firm obligations during extreme market volatility, including customer order handling, margin requirements, and liquidity management.
- SEC requested public input on climate-related disclosures.
- SEC is also working on disclosures for how funds vote their shareholders’ proxies, including updates to Form N-PX (used by funds to disclose proxy votes and procedures) and consideration of disclosing certain Form N-PX on a website to increase transparency.
- CFTC created a new Climate Risk Unit, which will focus on the role of derivatives in understanding, pricing, and addressing climate-related risk; the CFTC’s action follows the recently created FRB Supervision Climate Committee and SEC Climate and ESG Task Force.
- NY DFS announced expectations to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion within NY insurance companies including setting board and senior management diversity as a strategic priority, collecting and publicizing diversity data, and incorporating a review of diversity efforts into the examination process.
Financial services regulatory and policy news
- Federal banking agencies (FRB, OCC, FDIC):
- Announced that temporary changes to the Supplementary Leverage Ratio (SLR) for depository institutions will expire March 31
- Announced that temporary changes to the SLR for BHCs will expire March 31
- Provided closing remarks at a CPMI conference on cross border payments
- climate change
- Proposed amendments to the margin rule
- Proposed a rule change to extend the pilot program related to Clearly Erroneous Transactions in Exchange-listed Securities
- Confirmed Isabella Guzman as SBA Administrator
- Banking Committee conducted a hearing on financial system risks associated with climate change
- Passed the PPP Extension Act, which would extend the PPP application deadline to May 31; the bill now moves to the Senate
- FS Committee conducted a hearing on using diversity data to measure diversity, equity, and inclusion commitment
- Judiciary Committee conducted a hearing on strengthening the laws to address monopoly power; FTC Acting Chair testified
- Extended the deferment period for all COVID-19 EIDL and other disaster loans
- Updated, with Treasury, PPP forms and FAQs
- Disbursed 90 million economic payments from the American Rescue Plan
- NY FRB:
- Announced it will cease regular operations to purchase Agency CMBS
- Issued a brief on regulatory approaches and policy options for big tech in finance
- Department of Education:
- Announced actions to streamline the borrower defense relief process; the change is expected to help 72,000 student loan borrowers receive full relief
- Sought public comment on three fiscal impacts statements related to its 2021 budget
- Announced new actions to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the insurance industry
Industry news headlines
(Some links may require subscription)
- Powell Says COVID-19 Highlights Need to Improve Cross-Border Payments (WSJ)
- CFTC Creates Climate Risk Unit to Review Futures, Options (WSJ)
- Biden Administration to cancel $1 billion in student loan debt held by scammed borrowers (Market Watch)
- Redlined US homes face higher flood risks from climate change, new study finds (CNN)
- Sherrod Brown quickly shifts Senate Banking panel's course (American Banker)
- Sign of fintech’s evolution: Two new DC trade groups (American Banker)
Get the latest thinking from KPMG
Quick hitting summaries of specific regulatory developments and their impact on financial services firms.
Points of View
Insights and analyses of emerging regulatory issues impacting financial services firms.