- FRB Chair says climate change poses “profound challenges” for the financial system; OCC Acting Comptroller says that climate change will “eventually” be factored into regulatory capital requirements; BIS sponsored a “Green Swan Conference” on financial sector action against climate change-related risk.
- Focus on DE&I seen in President Biden’s plans to address racial equity gap (including through appraisals, insurance, small business credit), a CFPB blog post, and NY FRB virtual event on sourcing capital to LMI communities.
- FRB focus on preparing for broad implementation of the FedNow service, which is expected to facilitate real-time payments beginning 2023, seen in new rule proposals and changes to the Policy on Payment System Risk.
- FRB will begin winding down the portfolio of the Secondary Market Corporate Credit Facility (SMCCF), a temporary emergency lending facility that closed on December 31, 2020.
Financial services regulatory and policy news
- Proposed a new set of rules to govern funds transfers over the FedNow service (expected to begin 2023).
- Proposed changes to its Policy on Payment System Risk that would modify provisions for intraday credit and support the FedNow service.
- Finalized a rule amending Regulation D with regard to interest on reserve balances.
- Announced plans to wind down the SMCCF temporary lending facility.
- Published a blog addressing racial inequities in consumer markets.
- Announced it is reconsidering the application of its proxy voting rules to proxy voting advice businesses; related staff statement and commissioner statement.
- Spoke about the costs of a new regime for ESG disclosures.
- Made remarks at a committee meeting exploring the role of carbon markets in the transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Proposed a rule change related to members’ filing requirements under the Compliance with the Information Requirements of SEA Rule.
- Released a podcast of the 2021 Annual Conference “fireside chat”.
- Senate passed a bill addressing funding concerns in the CFTC Whistleblower Program; the bill now moves to the House for consideration.
- Issued a statement on the closure of the SBA PPP.
- Submitted its annual budget request, performance plan, and performance report to Congress.
- Provided its 2020 Annual Financial Acts of Enforcement Report to the CFPB highlighting activities related to TILA, CLA, and EFTA.
- NY FRB:
- Held a virtual event on “connecting capital to communities” targeting investments in low- and moderate-income communitie.
- Extended COVID-19 multifamily forbearance through September 30, 2021.
- Sponsored the “Green Swan Conference 2021: Connecting finance on climate”.
- Released a global transition roadmap for LIBOR along with other transition supporting statements and papers.
- Proposed quantitative targets for enhancing cross-border payments.
Industry news headlines
(Some links may require subscription)
- Fed Chair Powell warns of "profound challenges" posed by climate change (CNN).
- Climate change risks will affect U.S. bank capital in long-run - official (Reuters).
- Biden to announce new efforts to narrow the racial wealth gap (CNBC).
- Biden Expands Blacklist of Chinese Companies Banned from US Investment (WSJ).
- States dealt setback in effort to block OCC fintech charter (American Banker).
- Realtor groups asks Supreme Court to block CDC's eviction moratorium (CNN).
- Why more banks are weaning themselves off overdraft fees (American Banker).
- The Economic Recovery Is Here. It’s Unlike Anything You’ve Seen(WSJ).
- There’s a Blindspot in ESG Investing. Here’s How to Fix It(Institutional Investor).
Get the latest thinking from KPMG
Quick hitting summaries of specific regulatory developments and their impact on financial services firms.
Points of View
Insights and analyses of emerging regulatory issues impacting financial services firms.