- FinCEN published AML/CFT priorities as required by the AML Act; financial institutions will be expected to incorporate the priorities into their risk-based AML/BSA compliance programs until the effective date of forthcoming regulations.
- An online investment brokerage firm entered into an enforcement action with FINRA over trade order flow and order access; the SEC regulatory agenda released in June focuses on several of the allegations in the consent order. (See KPMG Special Alert here).
- Focus on racial and economic equity seen in House FS Committee hearings, FDIC financial inclusion conference, CFPB data reports, and FHFA Fair Lending Policy.
- CFPB finalized rules to temporarily ease foreclosure requirements for certain homeowners economically impacted by COVID-19; FHFA will prohibit Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to initiate foreclosures until the CFPB rule takes effect at the end of August.
Financial services regulatory and policy news
- Federal banking agencies (FRB, OCC, FDIC):
- Issued the "Architecture, Infrastructure, and Operations" booklet of the FFIEC Information Technology Examination Handbook.
- Issued an Interagency Statement on FinCEN’s AML/CFT Priorities.
- Spoke about CBDCs and the U.S. payment system.
- Reported that first-lien mortgage performance declined in Q1 2021.
- Outlined a modified approach to implementing its Insured Depository Institution Resolution Planning Rule.
- Sponsored a conference on technology and financial inclusion.
- Finalized temporary rules to facilitate the expiration of federal foreclosure protections.
- Reported about commercial credit reporting on consumer credit reports.
- Published a data point report on “Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the Mortgage Market”.
- Released a Complaints Bulletin on COVID-19-related complaints.
- Spoke about the role of the Board of Directors in climate and ESG.
- Issued an interpretation concerning capital and financial reporting obligations for swap dealers and major swap participants.
- Passed a bill that would require financial institutions to report LGBTQ data to the CFPB.
- Committee on Financial Services conducted hearings on racial equity, credit reporting, crypto, and climate risk.
- FinCEN published AML/CFT priorities.
- FinCEN determined to begin rulemaking to establish a no-action letter process for AML/CFT inquiries.
- Announced mortgage servicers will be prohibited from making most first filings for foreclosure before new CFPB rules take effect.
- Issued a Policy Statement on Fair Lending and related quarterly reporting for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
- Released its Annual Economic Report for 2021.
- Published technical amendments to the standard on minimum haircut floors for securities financing transactions.
- Sought feedback on policy proposals to enhance money market fund resilience.
- Published recommendations on sustainability-related practices, policies, procedures, and disclosure in asset management.
- Advanced work on virtual assets, proliferation finance, digital transformation, and peer member assessments.
- Published a report on money laundering from environmental crime.
- Issued a statement on the transition away from LIBOR.
- Published a phase 1 report on the Resolutions to Public Consultation Comments on Development of Liquidity Metrics.
Industry news headlines
(Some links may require subscription)
- Online brokerage firm agrees to pay $70 million to settle regulatory investigation (WSJ).
- Acting CFPB Director Dave Uejio nominated for HUD post (American Banker).
- All eyes on DOL plan to revisit fiduciary rule (Pensions & Investments).
- Student loan servicers fear 1-2 punch from CFPB, Education Dept (American Banker).
- Congress relaunches crackdown on bank overdraft fees (CNN)
- Fintechs seek CFPB guidance on making AI-based lending fair (American Banker)
Get the latest thinking from KPMG
Quick hitting summaries of specific regulatory developments and their impact on financial services firms.
Points of View
Insights and analyses of emerging regulatory issues impacting financial services firms.