- Agencies awaiting leadership nominations/confirmations from the incoming Administration include the SEC, CFTC, OCC, and CFPB; speculation on potential nominees for these positions implies likely “reinvigoration” of supervision and enforcement
- Final rules completed after August 21, 2020 may be subject to review and rescission under the Congressional Review Act; final rules not yet published or effective as of the inauguration date may be halted or delayed.
- SBA and Treasury have staggered the reopening of the PPP, beginning first with community financial institution lenders on January 11, followed by financial institutions with no more than $1 billion in assets on January 15, and all other lenders on January 19.
- Amendments to the SEC’s Regulation S-K disclosure rule, including human capital disclosures, will go into effect February 10, 2021.
- OCC finalized a rule that requires large banking organizations to provide fair access to financial services; the rule, which does not become effective until April 1, 2021, has sparked controversy within the industry and may be halted or reassessed by the new Administration
Financial services regulatory and policy news
- Federal banking agencies (FRB, OCC, FDIC):
- Hosted a webinar for bankers to discuss recent changes to the PPP
- Selected 11 companies to compete in the final phase of its Rapid phased prototyping competition
- Published amendments to Regulation S-K, setting the effective date as February 10, 2021
- Approved the National Futures Association’s swap dealer capital model review program
- SBA and Treasury:
Industry news headlines
- New Senate Banking Chief sets dramatic change of course (American Banker)
- Are CRE foreclosures on the horizon? (American Banker)
- CFPB, OCC on collision course over who regulates fintechs (American Banker)
- Will PPP's uneven soft launch delay full rollout? (American Banker)
- Surge in digital payments to continue in 2021: CO-OP (American Banker)
- Libor Proving Hard to Kill in $200 Trillion Derivatives Market (Bloomberg)
- Banks, insurers move to shape climate debate as Washington crackdown looms (Politico)
Get the latest thinking from KPMG
Quick hitting summaries of specific regulatory developments and their impact on financial services firms.
Points of View
Insights and analyses of emerging regulatory issues impacting financial services firms.