- Enforcement activity across regulatory agencies, including areas of expanding regulatory supervision such as cryptocurrencies and digital assets, decentralized finance, cyber risks, debt collection, and consumer data privacy.
- Focus on technology by regulators and standards-setters seen in multiple issuances and applications to strengthen risk management mitigation, reporting, and access:
- FFIEC guidance on authentication and access
- FINRA and COSO guidance on cloud computing
- SEC release of APIs to enhance public access to financial disclosure data
- FDIC, CFPB tech sprints on operational resilience and housing insecurity, respectively.
- FHFA 2022-2024 goals to promote equitable access to affordable housing include two new single-family home purchase goals, one targeting minority communities and another targeting low-income neighborhoods.
Financial services regulatory and policy news
- Released an update to the Bank Accounting Advisory Series, including amortization of premiums and evaluating goodwill impairment
- Issued the new "Model Risk Management" booklet of the Comptroller's Handbook
- Issued an RFI regarding its supervisory approach to examinations during the pandemic
- Launched a new tech sprint to measure and test bank operational resiliency
- Published a report on mortgage market activity and trends based on HMDA data
- Announced it is partnering with HUD to lead a tech sprint on post-pandemic housing insecurity
- Enhanced public access to financial disclosure data made by public companies; access available through APIs
- Entered into an MOU with European Central Bank regarding cooperation with respect to security-based swaps
- Released a report on cloud computing in the securities industry
- Announced it received 340,000 direct submissions from PPP loan borrowers of less than $150,000 in less than two weeks through its loan forgiveness portal
- Proposed its 2022-2024 housing goals for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac including new sub-goals
- Announced results of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Dodd-Frank Act stress tests
- Published a Bulletin titled “Could corporate credit losses turn out higher than expected?”
- Published responses to its consultation on policy proposals to enhance money market fund resilience
- Awarded accreditation to five departments of insurance for meeting financial solvency oversight standards
Industry news headlines
(Some links may require subscription)
- New York enacts law to curb overdraft fees (American Banker)
- New York's top finance watchdog to resign (Bloomberg)
- Did FinTech Lenders Facilitate PPP Fraud? (SSRN)
- Treasury seeks to quell fears crypto tax rules are too broad (Accounting Today)
- Crypto’s “DeFi” Projects Aren’t Immune to Regulation, SEC’s Gensler Says (WSJ)
- CFTC Commissioner Quintez to Step Down (WSJ)
- From Florida to California, bank startups are surging (American Banker)
- Flush with capital, CDFIs need to start thinking bigger (American Banker)
- U.S. to Eliminate Student Debt for Borrowers With Permanent Disabilities (WSJ)
Get the latest thinking from KPMG
Quick hitting summaries of specific regulatory developments and their impact on financial services firms.
Points of View
Insights and analyses of emerging regulatory issues impacting financial services firms.