As owners and operators look to transform their properties to retain and attract new tenants, they need to evaluate the use cases and identify the data points that will deliver incremental tenant value and drive operational efficiency. Yet only 28 percent of data strategy respondents indicated they are sharing data with tenants to improve overall experience. Why do smarter buildings matter? Read our real estate data strategy report for further insight.
Smart buildings. Satisfied customers.
Smart Buildings are the next generation in office work environments, providing an enhanced employee and tenant experience and improved operational efficiency.
They also have appeal for tenants, who want better environments that leverage technology to monitor air and water quality, reduce power consumption and provide enhanced safety and security.
Smart planning: Developing a roadmap
Now is the time for owners and operators to get more creative about increasing tenant value by leveraging smart building technologies.
Smart buildings are complex, requiring a clear strategy and roadmap to realize the expected business objectives and outcomes. They also present challenges: Most real estate owners and developers lack clear direction on how to move the transformation to smart buildings forward successfully. While the technology and data integration is critical, design ultimately should focus on what is important to the visitor or employee experience.
The chart below illustrates key components of a smart building for owners and developers to consider.
Creating the building of the future through IoT Technologies
Safety and Security
- Enhanced safety and security
- Facial recognition and biometric verification
- Automated visitor registration
- Wayfinding and crowd control management
- Trusted and reliable communications
- Workspace and meeting room management
- Employee/visitor temperature monitoring
- Employee/visitor contact tracing
- Environmental and sustainability
- Smart lighting and power management
- Efficient energy and waste management
- Logistics and supply chain integration
- Smart infrastructure and building management
- Integration to smart city functions
- Smart parking and valet service
- Personalized digital experience