- Ongoing attention to issues of inequity seen in FRB paper and blog series, and CFPB’s request for information on ECOA/Regulation B.
- Department of Justice opinion letter on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, its first since 2014, responds to a prospective transaction inquiry.
- DOJ, CFTC and CFPB each entered into settlements with entities to address compliance violations; the settlements included civil money penalties and restitution.
Financial services regulatory and policy news
- Released an update to its Bank Accounting Advisory Series, including new questions on troubled debt restructurings and allowances for credit losses
- Proposed a new category of seasoned qualified mortgages
- Extended the comment period on its RFI seeking opportunities to strengthen ECOA/Regulation B protections and regulatory compliance
- Settled with a bank on alleged violations of the EFTA/Regulation E, FCRA/Regulation V, and the CFPB’s UDAAP provisions in the marketing and sale of optional overdraft services; the settlement included civil money penalties and restitution
- Adopted new procedures requiring public notice and approval before NMS fees become effective
- Coordinated with DOJ on enforcement actions settling allegations against a swap dealer for manipulative and deceptive conduct, spoofing, false statements, and compliance violations. DOJ entered into a related deferred prosecution agreement on charges of wire fraud and price manipulation. The settlements included imposition of a monitor and civil monetary penalties, disgorgement, and restitution.
- Proposed amendments to certain margin requirements for swap dealers and major swap participants
- Published an opinion letter regarding the FCPA and a fee paid by an investment adviser to a foreign government entity for services.
- Renewed Focus on Race Triggers Surge of Interest in Community-Based Lenders
- California's "~mini-CFPB' plan is back in play. Banks aren't happy.
- Fee to shield Fannie, Freddie from COVID losses draws instant backlash
- COVID-19 has upended fraud detection
- Bitcoin ATMs are an oasis in financial deserts
- Colorado Establishes Safe Harbor for Bank/Fintech Lending Programs
- Lawmakers ask Pelosi, McConnell to diversify coronavirus relief oversight panel
Get the latest thinking from KPMG
Quick hitting summaries of specific regulatory developments and their impact on financial services firms.
Points of View
Insights and analyses of emerging regulatory issues impacting financial services firms.