- SBA closed the Paycheck Protection Program on August 8, 2020, consistent with statutory requirements of the Paycheck Protection Program Extension Act; Congress is currently debating measures to reopen and extend the PPP.
- DOL is seeking input from registered investment advisers regarding their use of ESG funds in retirement plans. The request follows a recent DOL proposed rule related to ESG investments, which is largely opposed by industry participants.
- Attention to digital currencies is growing, including FRB research in payments innovation and DOJ seizure of certain cryptocurrency accounts.
Financial services regulatory and policy news
- Released a statement in response to the report of the President’s working group on financial markets; that report is available here
- Released a statement on Senate confirmations of Hester Peirce and Caroline Crenshaw as SEC Commissioners
- Identified COVID-19-related issues, risks, and practices relevant to registered investment advisers and broker-dealers
- Issued an executive order providing assistance to homeowners and renters during COVID-19
- Issued a memorandum providing continued relief on student loan payments
- SBA and Treasury:
- Announced the dismantling of three terrorist financing campaigns funded by cryptocurrency
- NY FRB:
- NY DFS:
- Sent a letter on behalf of a multi-state coalition advocating the Department of Education expand student loan borrower protection
- Provided a progress report on the G20 TechSprint initiative
- Published a questionnaire on continuity of access to FMIs for firms in resolution
- Released the SOFR Starter Kit, a set of factsheets about the LIBOR transition
- US bank deposits: the rocky mountains
- Corporate bankruptcies on pace for 10-year high
- DOL Challenges RIAs On Their Use Of ESG Products
- Many US regional, community banks lagging on Libor switch to SOFR, consultants say
- Why banks are putting PPP forgiveness on the back burner
- Capital One fine is latest wake-up call for banks using the cloud
Get the latest thinking from KPMG
Quick hitting summaries of specific regulatory developments and their impact on financial services firms.
Points of View
Insights and analyses of emerging regulatory issues impacting financial services firms.